- 500g (1lb 2oz) mixed dried fruit: eg. raisins, sultanas, apricots, pears, figs
- 250g (9oz) chopped dates
- 1 medium apple, cored and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- seeds of 6 cardamon pods, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 500ml (16fl oz) orange or apple juice
- 200g (7oz) plain wholewheat flour
- 110g (4oz) vegetarian suet
- 200g (7oz) roughly ground mixed nuts
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- blanched almonds to decorate
Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3. Oil a 23cm (9in) round cake tin. Put the dried fruit, dates, chopped apple, cinnamon, cardamon, ginger, cloves, and orange or apple juice into a pan, and bring to the boil, stirring to prevent the mixture burning. Cook, covered, over a low heat until the apple softens and blends with the rest of the fruit (15-20 minutes). Do not allow to dry out.
Mix together the flour, suet, nuts, baking powder, and salt. Add to the cooled fruit mixture, and fold in. Mix well but do not overstir. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and decorate with blanched almonds. Bake in the middle of the oven for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes a 23cm (9in) round cake.
Source from Yoga Mind & Body by Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre