- 225ml (8fl oz) oil
- 125g (6oz) brown sugar
- 110nk (4fl oz) honey
- 325ml (12fl oz) soya milk
- 700g (1 1/2lb) plain wholewheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mutmeg or allspice
- 225g (8oz) grated carrot
- 110g (4oz) chopped walnuts
- 110g (4oz) raisins
- 200g (7oz) creamed coconut
- finely grated rind of 1/2 lemon
- 3-4 tablespoons icing sugar, to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 75-100ml (2 1/2 - 3 1/2fl oz) hot water
- 6 dessertspoons lightly toasted dessicated coconut
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Oil a 25cm (10in) ring-shaped cake tin. Blend the oil and sugar; add the honey and soya milk, and beat together. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices, and add to the oil mixture. Add the carrots, walnuts, and raisins; mix well and place in the pan.
Bake in the oven for 55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the thickest part of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, and then turn out onto a wire rack.
To make the icing, beat together the creamed coconut, lemon rind, icing sugar, and lemon juice with enough hot water to give the mixture a spreading consistency. Spread the icing over the cooled cake, and then sprinkle evenly with the lightly toasted coconut.
Makes a 25cm (10in) ring-shaped cake.
Source from Yoga Mind & Body by Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre