A thick creamy soup that can be a meal in itself when served with wholegrain bread and salad.
- 4 fresh cobs of corn
- 1/4 white cabbage, shredded
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 850ml (1 1/2 pints) cold water
- 175ml (6fl oz) soya milk
- salt and pepper
This simple soup is best made using fresh tomatoes, and flavoured with Mediterranean herbs.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 x 400g (14oz) tins or 1kg (2lb) fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- black pepper
- 570ml (1 pint) hot water or vegetable stock
Variations : For a thicker consistency add some flour with the vegetables, and stir well as you add the water or stock. For a creamy tomato soup, mix milk or soya milk with a little soup when it is cooked, and then return to the pan, stirring well. Reheat gently, but do not boil. For an even heartier tomato soup, add 150g (6oz) of cooked grain at the same time as the water or stock.
Source from Yoga Mind & Body - Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre